News:

Update to the forum rules are here
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Main Menu

SMF 2.0 V SMF 2.1

Started by KittyGalore, February 19, 2020, 10:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KittyGalore

Lots of people here most likely won't have a clue what i'm on about. Bascially this forum and the Big Brother forum uses SMF 2.0. SMF is currently planning of having 2.1 released in a year or so. They currently have 2.1 RC2 released which i think is only in testing but soon they won't be doing anymore security updates when SMF 2.0.19 is released which i'm sure will be the last update of 2.0 but the reason behind this is because 2.1 is a new default theme to this one and the whole design is changed. So when SMF 2.1 will be released i will have to make a choice whether to upgrade to it or still as long as i can on this setup and hope the forum won't be hacked or have thousands of problem due to many errors and outdated software that my webhost won't supported that will make the forum work. I'll leave a test link to the 2.1 look and layout and see what everyone thinks. I personally love the current layout of this theme of 2.0 if anyone reading this is familar with what i'm saying and can create this whole this theme to work with SMF 2.1 then let me know as i would to keep this whole theme setup and everything.

spapaars

Lots of people here most likely won't have a clue what i'm on about. Bascially this forum and the Big Brother forum uses SMF 2.0. SMF is currently planning of having 2.1 released in a year or so. They currently have 2.1 RC2 released which i think is only in testing but soon they won't be doing anymore security updates when SMF 2.0.19 is released which i'm sure will be the last update of 2.0 but the reason behind this is because 2.1 is a new default theme to this one and the whole design is changed. So when SMF 2.1 will be released i will have to make a choice whether to upgrade to it or still as long as i can on this setup and hope the forum won't be hacked or have thousands of problem due to many errors and outdated software that my webhost won't supported that will make the forum work. I'll leave a test link to the 2.1 look and layout and see what everyone thinks. I personally love the current layout of this theme of 2.0 if anyone reading this is familar with what i'm saying and can create this whole this theme to work with SMF 2.1 then let me know as i would to keep this whole theme setup and everything.

Don't see a big difference between the 2, so I'd opt for the safest option.

KittyGalore

Don't see a big difference between the 2, so I'd opt for the safest option.
Might not be for another few years anyway and i think i might be able to get someone to make me this theme work with 2.1 but mostly likely it will have to be paid and i doubt asking them to make it for free as it will require a lot of work. For now i will be sticking with 2.0 and will keep it as long as i can.

KittyGalore

So SMF has released version 2.1 the stable version. Just would like to know what does everyone prefer here is the test forum which has the new forum software register and let me know which do you prefer. I most likely will have to upgrade but would like to know what one everyone likes.

Demha

Looks like the UI is simpler

spapaars

Looks good.
The more stable the better.

KittyGalore

Doesn't seem to be much interest in this so for now i will stay with the current version.

KittyGalore

I just discovered if you upload a video as an attachment on SMF 2.1 it will play on the forum.

spapaars

I just discovered if you upload a video as an attachment on SMF 2.1 it will play on the forum.
Only short videos right?

KittyGalore

Only short videos right?
Can be longer ones as well

impossible

mmmm I 'm not very an expert, but 2.1 seems quite good. (Sorry, maybe I've put the wrong choice in the poll)

KittyGalore

mmmm I 'm not very an expert, but 2.1 seems quite good. (Sorry, maybe I've put the wrong choice in the poll)
If you voted wrong you might be able to change.

KittyGalore

I might also add that although some have said SMF 2.1 is nice yet no one has registered and signed up on the test forum to try posting and looking at your profile and so on.

Samantha

The New Forum seems similiar but a bit refreshed. I just am not so fond of it being so white.

KittyGalore

The New Forum seems similiar but a bit refreshed. I just am not so fond of it being so white.
Check now also if anyone can suggest some colours to me what you thing would be better.

KittyGalore

There is a number of things stopping me from upgrading they are i very much like the look and layout of this theme the default theme of 2.0 i can replicate some of the colour schemes on my test site to come close but the main for me is the board icons for 2.0 anyone who doesn't know this is the board icons there is mods to change them but most aren't updated yet for 2.1

Also there is some bugs yet with this new release and there is some planned updates which will address some of those. 2.0 is still working for now and will get some new security updates but eventually it won't and i will have to eventually change. I just wanted to know what everyone liked if everyone like the new layout more than this then i will upgrade soon or now rather than later.

KittyGalore

I got the board icons sorted on the test site.

hurricane28

Ye sorry, i still don't know what you talking about lol.

As long as the forum keeps running i'm happy tho :D

spaceSex

Any updates on the potential migration? Should everyone be able to log in to the site:

I stumbled across the link and was wondering.

KittyGalore

Any updates on the potential migration? Should everyone be able to log in to the site:

I stumbled across the link and was wondering.
It's only a test site you won't be able to log in because it's brand new to do that you would have to register.